Monday, December 2, 2013

Elon’s Quasquicentennial Historical Exhibit

Last weekend I was asked to attend at least one Elon 125th Homecoming event by my Media Writing class and report on it.  I picked Elon’s Quasquicentennial Historical Exhibit, not really knowing what to expect.  However, when I walked in I realized that Elon had decided to tell its tale through pictures. 

All four walls were covered in pictures that depicted important events that transpired at Elon University.  I found myself drawn in by the story told by a combination of pictures and short commentary beneath each of them.  Elon catalogued not only its successes, such as the first woman and African American to graduate from the university, but also it’s challenges.  Using powerful pictures taken during crises such as the fire that burned down most of the newly built school, the outbreak of Spanish Influenza following World War I, and 9/11, the Historical Exhibit  ended up making a very noticeable effect on me.


By using pictures, the artists helped me to relate to things that happened over a hundred years ago.  I realized that I was part of an institution that had grown over the years thanks to students like me that had lived through completely different things then I’ve ever had to face in my life.  Simple historical pictures, I realized, were able to not only tell a story, but also helped me connect to the greater community of Elon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment