Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Awareness and Assurance

Arts and Humanities Event #3

On Thursday I attended the It Gets Better benefit concert and found myself in a cozy theater being serenaded by a multitude of Elon’s talented artists. Apparently, this event has been held before, considering my suitemates were all very excited to see it again. I had never been before but was very intrigued and I was not disappointed. The show began with an introduction by the two students who presumably coordinated the event and a video discussing the importance of the event and the awareness it raises. Then, performers appeared on either side of the theater and began singing “Live It With Love.” The rest of the night passed with groups and soloists performing their renditions of songs that gave a positive message about self-image and accepting others. I especially enjoyed the original poem that was performed and the routine by Elon’s Finest.

I must admit that I was actually slightly confused throughout the event. I don’t think that the actual reason for the event or the It Gets Better project was ever specifically stated. I had no prior experience with the project and consequently didn't really know what they were specifically trying to raise awareness for.  By the end of the show, I think I understood. Considering that it was an event meant to raise awareness, I wish it had been explained more clearly so that people not completely aware of the social context were not excluded.


What I found most incredible about this event was the way everyone was working toward a common cause. A cappella groups that constantly seem to be in competition were working together on equal grounds to entertain and spread awareness. Students from different departments were gathered as one group to share their collective views. I was also intrigued by the songs that were chosen for the concert. I think that the songs were personally chosen and some of them are very popular and familiar. I did not usually consider them in the context of bullying or LGBT issues, but the artists clearly did. It helped me see the different perceptions people have in relation to art. It all depends on where one has been personal experience and understanding of relevant contexts. In some cases, the meanings of the songs changed because of the context they were placed in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment