Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Juno Díaz: Purpose and Prose

Arts and Humanities Event #1                                                                                               9/10/2013

It wasn’t Juno Díaz’s published work that surprised me, it was his spoken words and the way he said them. His lecture began similarly to other famous author talks: with a reading from his published works and a few comments about his writing process and how he finds inspiration. I was dutifully taking notes, expecting to write words that I’ve heard before about being a writer. But by the end, I found myself frantically trying to record the words that were making my head buzz.

“We are trying to see and live in a world that takes out our tongues and spikes out our eyes because we can’t say what we feel or see what’s really there because we’re not rewarded for it.”

At these words I stopped my casual scribbling and blinked a few times. I could have sworn a few moments prior Díaz had been discussing his use of second person and gracefully covering the topic of diversity. But suddenly the comfortable veil that most speakers use to keep from getting too deep or for staying politically correct was torn right in half and he began to speak about authenticity and the culture of respectability. People are lying all the time, he told us, for the sake of politeness, and it is an artist’s job to see beneath all the superficiality. The way he said these things, it was as if he was simply speaking his mind and the words flowed out like prose. He told us that our generation was born into a unique societal movement and that we’ve been told to stay down and keep quiet. We’re so pressured by adult concerns and issues that we get bogged down and grow up too quickly. We’re expected to submit to society as soon as possible. But if we wanted, we could cause more ruckus than all the generations before us.

It was an odd direction for the lecture to take, but in the end, I found myself inspired and really excited about the way he spoke in prose.

 Díaz left me thinking about how communication really can move people and how what we create can make incredible changes. His thoughts changed the way I see my world, even if it was just a little bit. And isn’t that the greatest reason to write?

-Miranda Romano

No comments:

Post a Comment